Thursday 3 March 2016

Sequential Imagery - Will Eisner: Theory of Comics and Sequential Art (1985)

I wanted to do a little reading on sequential imagery and I found a book by Will Eisner that explains how sequential imagery is an ancient from of art as it has always been something people have used to tell stories. Eisner also goes through all of the elements that are involved in comic strips and books and how they all are equally important to telling the story. 

I liked the part when Eisner goes over how even the frame shape, size and format can be used as a narrative device and below I have put a few snippets from where he explains this. 

 The jagged edge, he explains, can suggest emotionally explosive action, the long panel can be used to create an illusion of height and if you allow the character to come out of the frame it can suggest the power and strength of that character.


 If there is no frame is conveys unlimited space like we can see in the first example to the left. 







In this example the frame is actually part of the image and by doing this it's not only being used as narrative device directly but also that the character is confined in a small space.



Finally, he explains in this example how the cloud-like frame can suggest a thought or a dream that's happening instead of real-life action.



I really liked looking at this book as it is very detailed but also quite simple in the way that it explains how sequential imagery can be used really well as an art from and storyteller. I feel that I should try making my own comic strip of my character to develop my understanding of sequential imagery and if I get round to it I will post it on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment