Friday 18 November 2016

Terry Gilliam - Research

T

Terry Gilliam talks about the limitations of cut out animation, but also says you can use this this to your advantage. He explains that you can do really quick and fast movement very easily with cut out animation and can't really do very fluid and gentle movements, so it works really well with crazy narratives or movements.

Something I also found is that he uses airbrushing to create a 3D effect so that everything isn't always flat, which I think is a really clever way to manipulate the viewers perception. He also talks about the lighting having to be as high up as possible to avoid as much shadow as possible.

Another tip I got from this way to black the edges of the pieces you use in paper cut animation so that when you come to animate you won't get white flares in your final animations. This is really useful and I will definitely do this to my puppet and different pieces, this is something I would never have thought of! He also keeps different parts of his animation in envelopes so that the little pieces don't go missing and hr can just pick one up and use it as he pleases.

Finally, Gilliam talks about shadows in cut out animation that are always a problem so he uses a piece of perspex on top of his pieces so that they are flat and not curled up at all when shooting. I really like this idea, however I don't really know where I would get that kind of material from, I may try and look around for some glass to use instead!

Watching this DIY with Terry Gilliam has actually helped me a lot as I was struggling with how I was actually going to animate without having the animation come out with lots of shadows and not looking as I wanted it to. It also has helped me understand a little better the limitations that cut out involves, but there are ways around this. I love the work of Terry Gilliam and even though the style is quite different to the style I am going to be using I still feel like this has helped me not make the vital mistakes that can be made in cut out animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment