Friday 15 January 2016

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Design Sheets

For part of my character design project I wanted to look at some design sheets and look at the different ways that professionals plan out and develop their ideas of characters. Below are the design sheets for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind an animation created by Studio Ghibli and I felt that the design sheets for this animation would be quite interesting as it features a lot of fantasy characters.



I first noticed that a lot of design sheets start off with lots of concept art so I feel like it would be a good idea when coming to create a character and narrative around that character to first draw up some concept art. I feel like this helps you to establish the type of character they are a little better as you can start to imagine the world they live in.






 I really like the use of paintings in design sheets as I feel like you get a better sense of the character from a watercolour that you can't really get from a simple line drawing. The action poses for Nausicaä on the left are really fun and fluid and by using the watercolour it really shows the way her hair flows and the quirkiness in her personality.









The image below I liked because it shows all the different characters together even though they may not be in the same scenes together it allows for a detailed account of the sizes of the characters in comparison to each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment