Sunday 28 February 2016

Walt Disney's Comics

When looking in sequential imagery it seemed that the main definition for 'sequential images' in a modern example would be comic strips or storyboards. As Walt Disney before becoming an animator drew comics for newspapers I thought it would be interesting to look at some of his early work to inspire myself to create my own storyboard for this project.

Looking at Disney's comics was really interesting as in his comics he didn't have to be so innocent with his characters and instead could appeal to an older audience. I liked this aspect  of it as in his animations there always has to be the consideration whether or not it is suitable for children. His drawings in these comics are really nicely done and they actually have quite a lot of detail in them. I noticed on the Donald Duck comics there is a lot of perspective used and you get a sense of space in each frame. I think this is something that is very important when it comes to framing your shot as you don't want each frame to look dull and boring. I also liked the fact that there's lots of extra little detailed in the backgrounds of his frames, for example the two little love birds behind Mickey and simplistic buildings across the road from Donald. These little details are another thing I think I need to consider more when it comes to creating my storyboard as even though these are comics it still follows the same rules of having to be able to get a story across with a singular images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment