Sunday, 5 March 2017

Applied Production Diary - (27/2/17 - 5/3/17)

My tasks that I set myself for this study week was to get the poem sorted as well as keep on with finalising my character and coming up with the production logo. First, I began my week by writing out the poem and trying to figure out the best way to get in important facts as well as make it entertaining. Below is this rough sheet of the poem.






I actually began to feel like the poem would work better and be more effective if it was sang, so I started playing around with some chords around the words until I came up with a little song for it. I've never actually performed a song for an animation before but I felt that a young female voice would fit the style of the animation quite well as it's aimed at younger people and we want to to be quite innocent. So, I recorded a rough sample of the song so that Amy and Emma would be able to voice their opinion on whether it should be kept a poem or a song, and they happened to really like the idea of a song and liked what I came up with. I also want to try playing the ukulele instead of guitar as this might suit the animation even more so.













My other task was to create the logo for our production and we settled on the name SEA MOTION, (Stacy, Emma, Amy Motion). Firstly, I looked at different animation company logos that I liked before thinking about the logo I wanted to design and below are a few that I liked.




I liked the idea of a very simple logo with a funky font and below are two of the logos I came up with. Personally, I prefer the logo on the left just because I like the colours and font more, however it depends on what my group feel. I don't want to spend too long on the logo as it's not too important, but we wanted one so that the credits would be easier and if we wanted to submit our animation into a festival then this would make it easier for us to do so.



I have been carrying on with concept art and lots of drawings of Louie this week so below are all my sketches that I did thinking about the way he was going to be built.










Finally, this week I have been thinking about the final design for Louie and also about the Orangutan skeleton, which is quite weird shaped for a puppet. I have looked into the skeleton of a baby Orangutan and what the hands and feet look like as we want to make the puppet seem a little more realistic. We have also decided that we want to use needlefelting to create the character as we all agree that it looks amazing in animation! To the left is a great example of the kind of puppet you could get from needlefelting. I have been looking into tutorials online as I have never needlefelted anything before but it seems quite easy and what I like about it is that it's very buildable and there's room for error.






An example of needle-felted stop-motion puppets:

Fight! from Marc and Emma on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a comment